Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 2 (April 21): Vancouver, B.C.-Birch Bay, WA -- 50.8 miles biked

(Picture was taken at Birch Bay State Park campground, looking out on Birch Bay).

I'm gonna make this quick, because I have to get back on the road here (it's 12:21 p.m. PST here in Bellingham, WA).

Anyway, I finally put all the anticipation aside and got on the road yesterday. After getting my bike and attaching my four saddle bags, sleeping bag and other accessories (always a fun chore), I peaced out from the Vancouver bike store around 11:15 or so.

The first 8 or 9 miles through suburban Vancouver were great. I biked mostly on side streets, which were extremely quiet and empty. I didn't feel like I was in a big city at all. Then, however, things started to get a bit crazy. First I had to cross a long bridge on the left-hand sidewalk, which brought plenty of wind in my face. Still needing to pick up some biking sunglasses, this wasn't the easiest task.

When I got off the bridge, I had to do some maneuvering to get back on my route -- the maps are good, but not perfect. I then had another 6 or 7 peaceful miles before I had to cross an even bigger bridge, the Alex Frasor. Before doing this, however, I had to find the entrance to it. Luckily, I ran into a pair of very friendly middle-aged bikers, Ernie and Mariette.

They pointed me in the right direction and then headed that way themselves. I followed them and caught up to them at one point -- still before the bridge -- when I was slowly grinding my way to the stop sign. And at this point came my first embarrassing miscue. As I slowed and biked over tricky slabs of rock, I tried to remove my right shoe from the clip on my peddle, but it wouldn't budge.

And with nowhere to go forward, just like that I hit the ground -- me and then the bike on top of me. It didn't hurt one bit, but it was downright silly. Ernie helped me up, though, and then suggested a different route I could take with them that would be about the same distance and would be mostly on small bike paths. I wasn't saying no.

I biked with Ernie and Mariette for about 15 miles, mostly on paths that were more suited for mountain bikes but weren't rocky enough that I was worried about my touring 520. It was a relaxing, if not bumpy, ride that I enjoyed, especially since I had company.

They then took me out to the main road and made sure I knew where I was going before leaving to head back to their suburban Vancouver home.

From there, it was mostly a breeze to the Canada-U.S. border. I biked on main, two-lane roads, but they all had sizable shoulders. They were a little hilly, but I didn't encounter much wind resistance. Once I reached the border at Blaine, WA, I waited in line behind a car until I figured out -- because a guy pointed at me -- that I needed to go inside to clear customs. Another opportunity to show off my naivete, I thought.

The customs people inside were the nicest U.S. customs people I've ever encountered, although this might have just been because they thought I was crazy for going all the way to San Diego. Whatever the case, I was quickly on my way and back in the U.S. I know this sounds silly, but I actually felt relieved to be back in the country. It wasn't anything against Canada, but it felt like a milestone during my trip -- which, of course, is absolutely ludicrous.

Anyway, I biked about another 10 miles in the U.S. until I got to absolutely beautiful Birch Bay. The small town sits right on the bay leading out to the Strait of Georgia. I got my stuff set up at the Birch Bay State Park campground, ate a few PB&Js (I know, classy meal) and then headed down to the water for the sunset.

The water, at least by my standards, wasn't that chilly. If I was in the mood, I probably could have swam for a few minutes. I'll probably do that before I abandon all the fresh water I'll encounter here in Washington before heading west to the Oregon border and the Pacific.

Anyway, everything is good so far except for these damn shoe clips. I find it constantly difficult to remove my shoe from the clip upon having to stop. And twice, already, I've forgotten my left foot was clipped in after stopping and semi-fallen down! Oh, well. I only have a minor scrape on the left knee to show for it. I'm sure I'll learn. It's only Day 3.

OK, time to move on toward Deception Pass State Park, my destination this evening. Got another 30 to 40 miles before then.

I'm staying with a friend tomorrow night on Whidbey Island, which should give me the chance to post pictures as well as blog.

Until then, peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment