Sunday, May 31, 2009

Days 41-42 (May 30-31): Carmel, San Jose, CA -- 0 miles biked


(Written from UC-Santa Clara Library)

Miles biked: 0 (1,437.9 overall)

Originally, I considered spending just one full day at my man Toad's place in Carmel, but my cyclist friend Fred convinced me that I didn't want to bike to and through Big Sur on a weekend.

So I decided to stay grounded through the weekend and get back on the road Monday morning for the final difficult stretch of riding days.

SATURDAY: TOAD'S HIKING TOUR
Toad had Saturday all planned out for me, and the man sure knows what I enjoy doing.

We started the day by driving through Pebble Beach, mostly on roads I hadn't biked on Friday. Toad showed me the "Lone Cypress," which is a famous tree sitting on the coast. It's really not that special, but I had to act the tourist for a minute and get a picture in front of it.

Then we did some walking in tide pools, since the water was extremely low. Toad said he'd never seen it so low. We didn't see a lot of aquatic life -- just a couple small crabs -- but it was cool being on the coast and looking at the fog above the water.

The scene was made even more interesting by all the kelp that was in the water. It was the ocean like I'd never seen it before.

And my day of observing the great Pacific was just beginning.

After stopping at a local deli -- Toad's No. 1 sandwich joint -- to buy an enormous sub, we began Toad's hiking tour of places south of Carmel toward Big Sur.

But first I had to throw a jacket over my head and close my eyes. OK, let me explain. ... One of the great things about this trip is that everything I've seen on the bike is new to me. So driving down Highway 1, I didn't want to spoil Monday's ride.

I did, however, feel many of the hills that I'll have to ride up and over. And Toad laughed several times as he wondered how the heck I'm going to make it to the elevated town of Big Sur and beyond.

A challenge certainly awaits me.

But on Saturday, we stopped at three different hiking spots where I opened my eyes, did a little walking and enjoyed the sights.

Toad saved the best for last -- a spot along the road, which I later figured out was between Carmel and Big Sur (in my blindfolded state, I originally thought it was south of Big Sur).

The other places had been tourist traps. I'd enjoyed fairly short walks to the beaches, and the sights had been nice -- there were even horseback riders on one of the beaches -- but they didn't have that peacefulness that you find at a unpopulated spot.

The third, and final, hiking spot was more of a local gem.

After a short walk, I found myself at a sandy beach on which waves rhythmically crashed. There were about six people there, which was six more than he'd usually see, Toad said.

I sat for a while and enjoyed the peacefulness around me. To the east, just on the other side of 1, were huge, rolling hills that almost made me feel I was in Ireland. Earlier, Toad had pointed out the hills by Big Sur that were victimized by raging fires last year.

To the north and south, the beach was overlooked by beautiful, craggy cliffs that almost appeared man-made but retained their beauty in nature just the same.

And in front of me, of course, was the water. If it wasn't so damn cold and I had my swim trunks, I'd have been tempted to run into the crashing waves.

So that was the best hiking spot of the tour, but Toad also made another stop -- it was actually before the pristine beach.

We stopped in Big Sur and experienced something that, well, you probably can't find in 99.999 percent of places -- wooden chairs in a stream.

No joke.

After buying Big Sur bars, which are absolutely delicious and hearty -- I'll get another one Monday, that's for sure -- we walked down to a stream, which was maybe a foot deep at its highest point.

And there, in the middle of the stream, sat a handful of wooden chairs. It was the perfect setting, because tall trees created shade while the sun just barely poked through to give off a little warmth.

I took off my socks and Tevas and waded into the middle of the cold water, where I sat in one chair and dropped my feet onto another. I relaxed and opened up the "Pine Cone," the free newspaper I'd picked up in the store.

Talk about chillin'. I'll have to stop there again when I reach Big Sur by bike -- if I reach Big Sur -- Monday.

Late in the afternoon, after all the touring was done, I was very thankful to Toad for the ultimate afternoon. It hadn't been strenuous, but it hadn't been dull either.

Saturday evening, we made the drive to San Jose, where Toad lives while he attends law school at UC-Santa Clara.

I didn't really experience the city, not that it's anything special, but I got my first bowl of Vietnamese soup from a local joint.

And, man, was it delicious (and huge).

If you haven't tried it and there's a place around, I highly recommend it.

Unless, of course, you can't stand the thought of eating raw meat.

SUNDAY: A DAY OF REST
Today hasn't been anything special, but it's been nice.

It's, really, the first day this entire trip when I haven't exercised. And I think it's necessary, too.

Beginning tomorrow, I'll face another difficult string of tough riding days. I've got about 300 miles to Santa Barbara, and from there the riding should be mostly flat and through urban areas. Plus, I'll be on an emotional high because I'll be so close to my final destination.

But this week should be difficult -- and I'll probably camp four consecutive nights. There are two hostels along the way, but I'm not sure I want to spend more money than I have to. We'll see how I feel.

Anyway, thanks to Toad for what's been a great weekend full of adventures, great food and, as is always the case, entertaining times.

And on a final note, Santa Clara has a really pretty and small campus. Students here are getting ready for finals, and I always enjoy being on a college campus -- especially one with palm trees.

Tonight it's back to Toad's family's place in Carmel and then back on the road early tomorrow.

Oh, and the new bike seat seems all right.

Let's hope it's my last one of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment