Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Random notes on the Northwest

Hello everybody,
I've got about 17 minutes here before the Port Orford Library closes -- yep, it's an early closer at 5 -- so I figured I'd do something I haven't really done since the start of the trip: Tell you a little bit about things I've noticed in this section of the country.

THE ESPRESSO JOINTS
There is a Northwest coffee phenomenon that doesn't revolve around Starbucks. Instead, it's all about these tiny shacks called "Espresso," which are drive-through espresso joints.

In one tiny Washington town, there was an oval of cars around the tiny building at around 9 one morning.

They're everywhere and they're popular. And, no, I haven't taken the bike to one. I'm not really an espresso guy.

Maybe before I leave Oregon in two days...

ATTENTION TO TSUNAMIS
I just noticed a book today, while browsing the Bandon book store, about a huge tsunami that caused Crescent City, CA, great damage in 1964. I don't know if the city has completely recovered.

I'll find that out soon.

But even in Washington and Oregon there are a preponderance of signs related to the killer storms. Some have arrows pointing toward "Evacuation Routes." Others warn of dangerous tsunami zones.

It's good to know that the threat of such a storm isn't going completely ignored. That attention will be needed whenever global warming really makes its presence felt on this coast.

Of course, there are still plenty of houses, hotels and other buildings right on the ocean. Their owners, I'm sure, are aware of the consequences they may face at some point in the future.

FRIENDLY DRIVERS
I'm not to California yet, so I won't make any wide-ranging proclamations about the drivers whom I've dealt with on this trip.

But, it must be said, so far so good.

I've biked on some busy roads, and they've all given plenty of space. I've never really been frightened because of drivers -- the wind and bridges are more to blame for that.

The drivers in Seattle were especially magnanimous to bikers, allowing me plenty of room as I zoomed around the city. (As I mentioned in my Seattle post, the city is a great place for cyclists; I've heard the same thing about Portland, which would be another great city to visit.)

YES, IT RAINS A LOT
I've felt rain drops each of the last five days or so -- I'm not counting. According to most people I've talked to, I'm just catching the end of the rainy season. As in, the conclusion of a long winter.

People have told me that that's what happens here. Instead of snowing during the winter, it simply rains. As I've stated before, I love rain -- just not when I'm biking. And especially not combined with wind.

GREAT PEOPLE
Finally, I must just say that almost everyone I've met has been amiable and helpful. I haven't run into any nasty characters at all.

I thoroughly enjoy the people of the Northwest -- both in small towns and big cities.

We'll see about them Californians...

No comments:

Post a Comment